Cucumber salad is one of the most popular cold dishes in Asia. It makes a perfect refreshment aside spicy meals and it only takes 5-10 minutes to prepare. The crispy cucumbers drizzled with a sweet, sour and spicy sauce topped with garlic make this salad a flavorful appetizer.Jump to Recipe
Health benefits cucumber
Cucumber is a welcome refreshment during summer, but also year-round. Actually eating cucumber daily is a good way to hydrate. Many people go through life dehydrated without noticing. If you find it hard to drink enough water each day, maybe you should invite the cucumber into your daily diet. Who wants to benefit the healthy effect of cucumber eat it with the skin. It contains vitamin B, A and C. Cucumbers also support digestion and research tells fresh cucumber juice is the best rejuvenation tonic in the world.
In Asia there is two ways to make cucumber salad that are most common. One is to smash them before mixing with the dressing. The other way is to slice the cucumber thinly and pickle them for 2 hours.
When smashing the cucumber it will absorb more of the dressing and that results in more flavored cucumbers. Instead of cutting use a cleaver or your fist to smash the cucumber, then cut into diamond shaped pieces to create a coarse texture that will absorb all the rich flavors of the dressing.
These secret ingredients make the best cucumber salad
It’s best to use English cucumbers because they have a thinner skin and are more easy to smash. For the dressing try to find Chinkiang vinegar, it’s a Chinese black vinegar that is aged until colored dark. It has a more woody and sweet taste compared to regular vinegar. Drizzle some chili oil on top or add chili flakes to the dressing and you’ll make this salad addictively tasty.
Chinese Smashed Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber English
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar or regular rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- sea salt and pepper
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Wash and dry the cucumber. Place it on a cutting board and cut it through its length in half. Put them next to each other with the skin op top and smash it with a cleaver to crush it. You can also use your own fists. Then cut it into diamond shaped pieces and add to a bowl.
- Crush the garlic cloves on top op the cucumber.
- Make the dressing by combining the vinegar with the salt and sesame oil, soy sauce and sugar. Add the chili flakes and mix it all up.
- Pour the sauce over the cucumbers right before serving. Optional if you love spicy, you can drizzle extra chili oil on top.