Roasted red peppers is a classic Italian antipasto, often accompanied by salad, toasted (warm)bread, olives, mozzarella and prosciutto.Jump to Recipe
One of our favorite Mediterranean dishes are appetizers. When traveling in Italy, roasted peppers are a brilliant vegetarian choice. Especially as it combines so well with everything. You can serve these roasted peppers as an appetizer with bread, but you can also add them to salad, pasta, lasagne or a grilled fish dish.
If you used to buy roasted peppers in a store, you should try to make it yourself. It’s made with the simplest ingredients and the taste is 1000% better. Once you roasted the peppers you marinate them in olive oil, a splash of vinegar, capers, garlic and pepper and salt. Don’t forget to put all your love into these roasted peppers, you won’t regret it. Let the marinated roasted peppers sit in the fridge for an hour to infuse all the flavors, it will make a difference!
How to roast peppers?
There are a few ways to roast peppers, you can either roast them on the bbq, in a grilling pan or in the oven. The easiest and less time consuming way is in the oven. All you need to do is make sure the oven is well preheated. Then you place the peppers on their side on a baking sheet and you let the oven do the work. Pay attention by checking after 30 minutes and flipping them to the other side. This way the peppers will evenly roast. Don’t worry about the burning process, they need to burn to create this delicious sweet, charred flavor.
Make sure to cool the peppers down before peeling and cleaning. When the peppers seem cold from the outside it doesn’t mean they are fully cooled down from the inside. Therefore if you have time, roast them way ahead so you don’t even need to worry about it.
If you want you can use any color roasted pepper. We used Italian peppers, but because these are thinner they need less time in the oven. As you can see on the picture above, these Italian peppers have been burned a bit too much, 10 minutes less would have been better. When using the bell peppers you can leave them for 50 minutes because they contain more flesh.
Classic Italian Roasted Peppers
- 4-6 Italian peppers or bell peppers when using Italian peppers 10 minutes less cooking time
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1-2 tbsp capers depending on your liking
- persil for garnish ( extra)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400 F). Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and grease with olive oil.
- Wash the peppers and place them on their side on the baking sheet. Bake for a 50-60 minutes, flip the peppers half way the cooking time. The peppers are ready when soft inside and medium burned from the outside.
- Take the peppers from the oven and let them cool down for 30 minutes.
- When cooled down, remove the stems and charred skins. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and cut peppers into thin strips and place them in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, capers, pepper and salt and mix together. You can either serve it immediately or let it sit in the fridge to let all the flavors infuse.