This homemade spinach pesto is a little different than the traditional Italian pesto because it’s made with spinach instead of basil. The recipe is very simple and allows you to be creative using any kind of greens you like.
Homemade pesto is always better
When you need pesto for a recipe it’s always better to use homemade pesto. Either you get it homemade from the delicacy store, caterer, or market, or you make the pesto yourself. Pesto is one of the easiest things to prepare. Once you made your first homemade pesto, you’ll never want to use the pesto from a pot again. Besides pesto is perfect for experimenting. It’s easy to give pesto your own twist. Originally Italian pesto is made of basil, garlic, raw pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil, and parmesan. Of course the better quality of basil, olive oil, and parmesan, the better your pesto will taste. Also the better a knife you use for cutting everything as thinly as possible the better it will taste.
Spinach pesto with walnuts
I love to experiment with pesto and I will share all my variations with you. For example, I often exchange pine nuts for walnuts. This is just a matter of budget, cause pine nuts are super expensive in Portugal like elsewhere in the world. Also, the kind of greens is interesting to experiment with. In this pesto recipe, we use spinach and basil, but I wonder also how a pesto with kale or rocket will taste. First, let me show you how this easy homemade spinach pesto is made.
You should also definitely try out our pistachio pesto which will blow your mind!
Easy Homemade Spinach Pesto
- Philips HR7629 Food Processor
- 1 cup walnuts
- 75 gram fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp parmesan
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Assemble all the ingredients and add to your food processor. Be careful with the water. Leave a bit to see if you need it all.
- Mix until everything is combined to the texture you prefer. Scrape a few times from the sides and taste. Some people like it more fresh, you could add a bit more lemon, others are a big fan of garlic and would like to add more of that. If it's too thick you can always add a bit more olive oil or water.
- It's all about tasting and adding a bit of what you like most to create your perfect homemade spinach pesto! Enjoy it!
- Pesto is perfect for experiments. If you have some kale left or rucola, add it to it and see how it taste. Also capers can be a good add to pesto.