There are many ways to make tomato soup but when the tomatoes are roasted it creates a deep, smokey, natural sweet and delicious taste you’ll never forget. All you will taste is natural, there is no cream sugars or any other additives added. The best part is, the oven does most of the work for you. Once you’ve roasted the tomatoes, the soup comes together in just 10 minutes!
How to make roasted tomato soup
It’s actually one of the easiest ways to make tomato soup. We used roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, but you could use any kind tomatoes as you like. The secret lies in everything that happens in the oven. Give your tomatoes the time to roast as much as possible, it will give a strong sweet and smokey taste. This is why we cook the tomatoes slowly together with the garlic, onion and carrots. It will start to caramelize and develop natural sweetness. While your veggies are roasting, you have all the time in the world to watch your favorite show, or do a little work-out. Enjoy this time!
The secret ingredient
Besides all the delicious flavors created in the oven, there is another secret ingredient that makes this roasted tomato soup one you’ll talk about for weeks. Instead of adding cream, we added homemade pesto to the soup. We have a delicious spinach and basil pesto recipe but you can also choose to use only basil in this recipe. The pesto will bring the already super tasty roasted tomato soup to a next level. The parmesan cheese and the walnuts in the pesto will add just the right amount of a cheese flavor and creamy texture to the soup.
This soup is perfect either to warm yourself up in winter or as a lovely diner in spring with toast. It’s so easy, healthy and completely natural!
Easy Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Philips HR7629 Food Processor
- 900 grams roma tomatoes
- 450 grams cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 large carrots
- 8 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock or chicken
- 2 tbsp balsamico vinegar
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2-4 tbsp homemade basil pesto
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the roma tomatoes and the carrots in half, the onion in big chunks and keep the cherry tomatoes whole. Add it all to the baking sheet. Add whole cloves of garlic. Drizzle the olive oil and season with pepper and salt. Give it all a good toss so it's evenly oiled and seasoned. Bake the veggies in the oven for 1 hour. Check half way and if needed give it a toss to let it bake evenly.
- Transfer the roasted veggies and its juices into a food processor. Blend until smooth. Depending on the size of your food processor, do it in two batches or all in one.
- Transfer the smooth veggies into a dutch oven and heat up on medium heat. Add the vegetable broth and heat it up all the way for about 8 minutes. Add the balsamico vinegar, and chili flakes, give it a good stir.
- Last step is to add a few spoons of homemade pesto. It will the soup a creamy texture. Serve with fresh bread!