With this French Toast Casserole you don’t need to stand behind the stove waiting till it’s time to flip your toast. Instead you can just cut the bread in small squares and add them all to a casserole. Pour the egg and milk mixture over it and let the oven do the work. Sounds amazing right?
The best part of this recipe is that you can assemble everything in the casserole the night before. The next morning all you have to do is transfer it into the oven for about 35-40 minutes. It will come out perfectly, even better than regular French toast I must say. The bread is soaked into the mixture which makes the middle super soft and dense while the top has crispy peaks. The fruits on top give it a fresh taste and when you sprinkle with powdered sugar and pour maple syrup or honey over it you’ll have the perfect breakfast. It’s super delicious!
With this casserole filled with yummy French toast there is no doubt you’ll make everyone happy in the morning.
French Toast Casserole
- Casserole (20×30 cm / 8 x 12 inch)
- 12 slices of French white bread (casino bread)
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup or honey
- forest fruits or any kind of berries you like
- Cut about 12 slices of French casino white bread. Grease the casserole with vegetable oil or butter. Add the bread cubes to the casserole.
- Mix the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla and combine well together. Pour the mixture into the casserole. If you want you can already add the fruits now, it will soak into the mixture. We prefer to add them fresh after baking it.
- Wrap the casserole with foil and leave it in the fridge overnight. If you want to make it right away than leave it in the fridge for minimum 30 minutes till as long as you can.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350 F). Transfer the casserole into the oven and let it bake for 35-40 minutes. If you want you can add the fruits half way the time and leave a bit for garnish. You can also add the fruits add the end, they will be fresh!
- Sprinkle the French Toast Caserole with powdered sugar and pour maple syrup. Bon apétit!