Let’s celebrate the first sunny days of this year with grilled fish, juicy salads and sweet flavors. This meal creates a real tropical vibe on your plate. The combination of the grilled smokey salmon with sweet coconut rice and fruity salad is so delicious, you’ll feel instantly happy while eating this.
If you eat salmon 2 x a week you’ll easily reach your omega-3 fatty acid needs. Omega 3 helps to prevent heart diseases, reduce inflammation and lower blood pressure. It’s one of the most healthiest fish you can eat, so why not make it a festive meal? In this recipe the salmon comes with a fresh mango salad made with avocado, red bell pepper, red onion, and fresh cilantro. Each ingredient contains lots of vitamins and minerals that will make you feel energized.
Avocado: they are rich in vitamin C, E, K, and B-6, as well as, folate, magnesium, and potassium. They also provide omega-3 fatty acids, beta-carotene, and lutein. This cocktail makes avocado great for your skin, good for your heart, good for your vision, and helps with a healthy digestion.
Mango: mangoes are packed with vitamin C. Mangoes also help clean your skin from inside your body. It treats pores and can give your skin a beautiful glow!
Red onion: especially eating raw onion can help lower your cholesterol and keep a healthy heart. It contains vitamin C and chromium that can help regulate your blood sugar.
Red bell pepper: all colors of pepper contain lots of vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.They also contain a dose of fiber, folate, and iron.
Cilantro/coriander: cilantro has real medicinal powers. It’s an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and is rich in antioxidants. It’s packed with vitamin A,K and C and minerals such as calcium, iron and magnesium. The vitamin K and calcium are beneficial for strong bones, teeth and hair. Adding fresh cilantro to salads is always smart. We wrote a whole article devoted by the medicinal power of coriander which will explain why this herb should be added more often to your meals.
Besides all the health benefits, this meal is a festive to look at isn’t it? It’s super easy to prepare and for sure you will create some happy faces when you serve this meal tonight’s dinner!
Roasted Salmon with Coconut Rice & Mango Salad
- 4 pieces of boneless salmon filets
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cup + 1 tbsp coconut water
- 3 limes 2 tbsp of lime zest and 4 tbsp of lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1¼ cup coconut milk
- 1½ cup rice we used jasmin rice
- 1 mango
- 1 avocado
- fresh cilantro
- 1 red onion
- salt and pepper
- Start with making the marinade for the fish. The marinade is made of 2 tbsp of lime zest, 3 tbsp of lime juice, 3 pressed garlic cloves and 3 tbsp of olive oil. Mix well and season with pepper and salt. Add the salmon filets to a bowl and pour the marinade all over it. Make sure each side of the salmons are covered in the marinade. Cover the bowl and keep it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can start preparing the coconut rice. Pour 1½ cup of coconut water and 1¼ cup of coconut milk into a medium saucepan. Add the rice and bring it to a boil. Leave it simmer for 20 minutes on medium heath covered with a lid. After 20 minutes keep it aside with the lid on top to keep it warm.
- Start preparing the mango salad by cutting the mango and the avocado in cubes. Chop the red bell pepper and red onion finely. Chop fresh cilantro and mix it all together. Pour 1 tbsp of coconut water, 1 tbsp of olive oil and squeeze one lime above the salad. Season with pepper and salt and mix well.
- Heath up a griddle pan on the stove for about 5 minutes. Add a bit of olive oil to the pan before you place the salmon on the gril. Grill each side for about 3 minutes covered. This way you'll create a crispy grilled coat with soft medium rare filets on the inside.
- Serve the grilled salmon with the coconut rice, mango salad and if you like another squeeze of lime!
Did you make this recipe?