Every day has moments we need snacks. To make snack-time a bit more healthy make a batch of these easy cacao coconut energy balls. These energy balls are no bake, gluten-free, plant-based, healthy, easy to prep and store and a real joy to eat.
In this fast life we’re living it can really help to have these healthy snacks nearby. Therefore you should definitely try this recipe. It’s easy to grab on the go and gives you exactly what you need to get through the day. It even leaves your stomach feeling full until your next meal.
Why Are They Called Energy Balls?
It’s quite simple, all the ingredients in energy balls boost your energy. The superfoods, full nutrients and whole foods high in protein will hit your energy button straight away. Energy balls contain healthy carbs, fats, and fiber, which helps build lean muscle mass. Therefore this is the excellent healthy on-the-go snack before or after your workout! Here is a short description of the main ingredients and its health benefits:
Dates are high in fibers and disease fighting antioxidants. They are the perfect natural sweetener and help to glue ingredients and make a smooth paste. Dates keep you full and energized. If you’re trying to loose weight, dates are an excellent snack to eat with your coffee for example. Make sure you use Medjool dates because they are sticky and soft.
Almond flour is rich in monounsaturated fat which are healthy fats. This can help keep you cholesterol under control. Reducing your cholesterol can lower risk of hearth disease. It’s low in carbs and has a lightly sweet taste. It has fewer sugar than wheat flour and is gluten-free.
Natural peanut butter contains omega-6 and is rich in protein and magnesium. This may help protect the heart and can manage blood sugar and body weight.
Raw cacao powder is rich in polyphenols. This natural antioxidant is what makes raw cacao a superfood. Study shows it can help lower blood pressure and improve your blood flow to the brain and heart. It can help reduce risk of diabetes and has anti-inflammatory effects.
Coconut oil contains healthy fatty acids. It can encourage fat burning and reduce hunger. It’s good for the skin, hair and teeth.
How Many Energy Balls Should You Eat Per Day?
Since I discovered how easy this delicious healthy on-the-go snack is to prepare I am obsessed with them. As we all know too much of anything is never good for the body so don’t overeat them even though it’s healthy. they contain calories (about 100-110 calories).Try to stick to 1 or 2!
How To Store Energy Balls?
Keep them in the fridge so they will stay firm. In the fridge they can be kept for 1 week. If you make a batch you can store them in the freezer for about 2 months.
Healthy Cacao Coconut Energy Balls
- KitchenAid® K400 Blender
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 dates use the Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder plus more for coating
- 1/3 cup almond flower
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut plus more for coating
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- chopped or crumbled unsalted pistachio for coating, not a must, you can choose your own coating if you wish. For green you could also use matcha powder
- Add the pitted dates to a food processor or blender and blend until it forms a paste.
- Add all the other ingredients to the food processor or blender and pulse until you have a firm paste.
- Create ping pong balls size balls, roll them with your hands
- Place coatings in a small bowl and dip the energy balls one by one in the coating you wish. Place them on a plate or in a box and place it in the freezer for 20 minutes to get firm. After you can either eat them or keep them in the fridge. If you want to keep them for longer and prevent yourself from eating them all, you can freeze them and enjoy them all month!