This isn’t just a regular banana bread, it’s a healthy delicious mix of a moist carrot cake with your favorite banana bread. It’s made with natural ingredients and 100% gluten-free. There is only a drop of honey added for some sweetness and it’s topped with crunchy hazelnuts!
We love baking banana breads because it’s easy and you can make lots of variations. If you’ve tried our best banana bread recipe ever, but you’re looking for a healthier version then this recipe is all you need. This carrot banana bread is made with oat flour which makes it gluten-free. There is no butter or coconut oil involved and is sweetened with carrot and just a tablespoon of honey. If you prefer to make it with less sugar go ahead and skip the honey. Just make sure to use super ripe bananas because they taste sweeter!
This recipe was created out of love for carrot cake and love for banana bread. What if we just combine these two? When combining two winners it must be a hit right? Well it definitely is and the best part is that this version is healthy. Usually we love our butter in cakes and banana bread, but after making this carrot banana cake we found out it’s not always necessary.
100% natural sweetened carrot banana bread
We have been trying to cut down more on refined sugar in desserts and cakes.In this recipe we used the wholefood sweetener carrot. Because carrots taste sweet there’s less added sugars needed. Therefore we only used one tablespoon of honey. Another sweetener used in this recipe is cinnamon. Besides its sweetness, cinnamon also adds antioxidants with anti-inflammatory effects. Cardamom is also a sweet spice that can be seen as a substitute for sugar. To finish we added a little bit of powdered cloves to create the real carrot cake flavor.
Healthy Carrot Cake Banana Bread (Gluten-Free)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 150 grams oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- grated coconut
- 1 big carrot grated
- mix of powdered cardamom, cinnamon, cloves add as much as you want depending on how spicy you want it.
- 1 tbsp honey plus extra to glaze on top
- Preheat the oven for 175°C (hot air). Grate the carrot with a grater or in a food processor. Mash the bananas smooth with a fork in a bowl or us a food processor. Add the carrots to the banana and mix well.
- Add the eggs one by one and beat until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold in the oat flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add all the spices and honey, mix well until combined.
- Chop a few hazelnuts and add it to the batter. Pour the batter into a cake tin lined with parchment paper or greased with a bit of coconut oil. Chop a few hazelnuts in half and add on top of the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.Take the banana bread from the oven 10 minutes before and add brush honey on top to glaze the hazelnuts. Put it back into the oven for a few more minutes. The banana bread is ready once a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool down in the cake tin before taking it out.
- Packed in aluminium or you can keep it for 4 days outside of the fridge.
- If you want to enjoy it all week or even longer, cut it into pieces and freeze it.Take it out the night before so you don’t need to worry about breakfast.
- Tear a slice into pieces and add on top of a bowl with yoghurt and fruit. It’s amazing as breakfast!