French homemade mayonnaise is one of the easiest things to make. But there is a trick you’ll need to know otherwise you might get frustrated that this easy recipe isn’t working for you.
I am sure every family in France knows how to make it. My grandmother’s mayonnaise was sacred, she was the only one in the house that was allowed to make it, you could call her the ‘queen of mayonnaise’. Even my mother never made it for us, cause who can beat mamie’s mayonnaise? No one really but about 25 years later I finally had the courage to make it myself with the instructions of my mom on the phone. Honestly the first time it didn’t look anything like it, the mayonnaise stayed liquid, it didn’t mix well. Lucky enough my mom did know mamie’s tricks for when the mayonnaise goes wrong and it always works. Since then I am the new queen of mayonnaise maison and I am sure you’ll get there too. Besides after eating this mayonnaise with your fries, chicken leftovers or Oeuf Mimosa, you’ll be hooked!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp strong mustard from Dijon
- 10 cl canola oil
- pepper and salt
- 1/2 lemon
- Assemble all the ingredients and start with mixing the egg yolk with the mustard and vinegar in a bowl, preferably a glass bowl.
- While whisking the mustard with the vinegar slowly add rays of oil and keep whisking. Now the oil needs to work itself with the mustard until it turns into a solid mayonnaise.
- Add a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of pepper and salt for more flavor.
- It might not work the first time, but if it doesn’t there is a trick. Take another glass bowl and add a little bit of water. Now add the mixture bit by bit while whisking. It should work!