French homemade mayonnaise (maison) is one of the easiest things to make. But there is a trick you need to know otherwise you might get frustrated that this easy recipe isn’t working for you.
The queen of mayonnaise
I am sure every family in France knows how to make it. My grandmother’s mayonnaise was sacred, she was the only one in the house that was allowed to make it. You could call her the ‘queen of mayonnaise’. Even my mother never made it for us, cause who can beat mamie’s mayonnaise?
No one really could up till about 25 years later when I finally found the courage to make it myself. Not fully by myself, but with instructions from mom on the phone. Honestly the first time it didn’t look anything like it, the mayonnaise stayed liquid, it didn’t mix well. Lucky enough my mom did know mamie’s tricks for when the mayonnaise goes wrong and it always works. Since then I am the new queen of mayonnaise maison and I am sure you’ll get there too. Besides after eating this mayonnaise with your fries, chicken leftovers or Oeuf Mimosa, you’ll be hooked!
How to make homemade mayonaise?
To make the real mayonnaise maison all you need is just a few ingredients: 1 egg yolk, strong Dijon mustard, vinegar, vegetable oil, 1/2 a lemon and pepper and salt. One of the secrets lies in your equipment. Use a bowl made of glass and a whisk. Again, when making grandmothers recipes, never use electric gear. We use our muscles and bare hands and full attention of course. Second secret is to mix the ingredients step by step in the right order. Start with the egg yolk and mix it with the mustard and vinegar. While whisking the mustard with the vinegar slowly add rays of oil and keep whisking. Now the oil needs to work itself with the mustard until it turns into a solid mayonnaise. If this doesn’t happen, no panic there is another trick!
When your mayonnaise goes wrong
When the oil doesn’t work itself with the mustard and your mixture stays liquid there is only thing you can do to fix it. Grab another glass bowl and add a little bit of water. Now add the mixture bit by bit while whisking. Usually this trick always works. Good luck!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp strong mustard from Dijon
- 10 cl canola oil
- pepper and salt
- 1/2 lemon
- Assemble all the ingredients and start with mixing the egg yolk with the mustard and vinegar in a bowl, preferably a glass bowl.
- While whisking the mustard with the vinegar slowly add rays of oil and keep whisking. Now the oil needs to work itself with the mustard until it turns into a solid mayonnaise.
- Add a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of pepper and salt for more flavor.
- It might not work the first time, but if it doesn’t there is a trick. Take another glass bowl and add a little bit of water. Now add the mixture bit by bit while whisking. It should work!