Ten layers of honey cookies, whipped sour cream in between and coated with pistachios, that’s what this medovik-honey layer cake is about!
The origin of the Medovik-Honey Layer Cake
There are many different stories and believes about the origin of the Medovik-Honey Layer Cake. This cake is popular in countries of the former Soviet Union. One of the stories is that this cake was once created for the wife of Russia’s czar Alexander I by a personal chef. I. All I know for sure, is that this cake is something special.
Every country has a layer cake
I am always drawn by layer cakes. Traveling thought me almost every country has its own version. The Indonesian ‘spekkoek’, the Portuguese ‘bolo de bolacha’, the French ‘gâteau de famille’ are my favorites. But when Omri showed me a video of this traditional Middle Eastern delicacy, medovik, I had to try it out.
We had to give this ten layer cake a try and create our own personal twist to it . Honestly you need some patience and motivation to make this cake but it’s worth it. It took us a whole day, but it was fun, especially to eat. Think about it, this cake consists of 10 layers of honey cookies, whipped sour cream in between and coated with pistachio. Do I need to say more?
Choose the right day
Choose a rainy day, put some music on and get started. The recipe below contains ten steps that should all be taken seriously. Especially pay attention to the sizes that are mentioned. To make a perfect cake, the layers all need to have the same size. Because the cookies don’t all fit in the the oven, you will have to bake them probably in 5 turns. Keep in mind that this cake needs to firm in the fridge for at least 9 hours. So you’ll have to be patient, but it will be rewarded.
Medovik-Honey Layer Cake
- Philips HR7629 Food Processor
- Kitchen Aid K45SSEWH
- 130 gram unsalted butter
- 100 gram honey
- 100 gram sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 gram vanilla extract
- 6 gram baking soda
- 540 flour ( all-purpose)
- 340 gram sour cream
- 45 gram powdered sugar
- 15 gram honey
- 170 gram whipped cream 70% whipped
- 250 gram pistachios
- Fill up a pan with water and let it warm up. On top add a glass bowl that is resistant to heath. In the bowl mix the butter, honey and sugar.
- In the meantime break the eggs in a cup and add the vanilla extract. Mix it up.
- Mix the butter, honey and sugar all together with a whisk until the butter is fully melted and the mix is smooth. Now add the eggs and vanilla while you keep whisking. Add baking soda.
- Take the bowl from the heath and put it on a towel on the surface. Add a sieve on top and add 540 gram flour bit by bit and keep the last bit of flour for later. Mix it up with a whisk carefully. Keep mixing until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- If you wish, put plastic gloves on, but you can also use your bare hands to knead the mix into dough. Add the last bit of flour to the mix. Now mix it with your hands by turning it around until the dough is ready. Wrap the dough in plastic foil and let it rise in te fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C and cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Now divide the dough into 10 pieces. Cover the surface with baking paper and add a little bit of flour. One by one you will prepare the dough for baking by pushing it thinly and shaping them all in into a round cookie of 18 cm with a roller. Use a fork to nettle the dough so it will breath in the oven. Depending on how big your oven is transfer 1 or 2 cookies with the parchment paper underneath to the baking tray and let it bake for 5-6 minutes in the oven.
- Add sour cream, powdered sugar and honey to a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Whip the heavy cream until 70% and add it to the mixture. Whisk until combined.
Layer the cake!
- Cover a cake platter with parchment paper. Put the first cookie on the platter and drop a spoon with cream on top. Spread it with a spatula until completely covered with a good layer of cream. Repeat until all 10 layers are stacked with the same amount of cream in between.
- Make sure the layers are well stacked on top of each other. Push a little bit on each side with two spatula's. Now cover the side of the cake with cream by using the spatula until there is no layers visible.
- Now the part of being patience really starts…put the cake in the fridge and let it firm for 9 hours.
- Peel the pistachio's and crush them in a kitchen machine. Not until powder but keep a tiny structure. Cover the cake with the crushed pistachio et voìla Medovik is ready to get cut and eat finally!