We love to experiment with vegetables and always try to create new versions of yummy burgers and fritters. As it’s the pumpkin season we had to find a way to turn this beautifull autumn vegetable into a chunky crispy veggie fritter.
These pumpkin fritters have similarities with the broccoli mushroom burgers, which are an absolute hit. Because of the sweet taste of pumpkin and butternut squash, these fritters are sweeter. They have the same bite as the Swiss potato fritter, rösti. The turmeric and curry powder added to the mixture creates a savory taste that makes these fritters dangerously good!
The turmeric mushroom mayonnaise is the perfect addition to this dish. When cooking we always look for herbs and spices that can make a difference in flavor and can add extra nutrition to a dish. The turmeric adds a peppery and earthy taste and a yellow color to the mayonnaise. The coriander adds a bit of green and mostly freshness. Both have an anti-inflammatory character and contain lots of antioxidants that can boost your immunity.
Altogether it makes the ideal vegetarian burger. You can either can put it between a soft burger bread or serve it as fritters aside a simple green salad.
How to create the perfect crisp for your pumpkin fritters?
These pumpkin fritters taste best when crispy of course and we will explain to you exactly how. We used two techniques. First, fry them in a large skillet with a generous amount of olive oil. The fritters need to sit it in it for 1/4 part. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 °C. Fry the fritters until lightly golden on both sides. Transfer the fritters to a baking tray with parchment paper. Bake them in the oven for another 10 minutes. By finishing in the oven they will lose the oil while the crust will get even more crispy!
Pumpkin Fritters with Turmeric Mushroom Mayonaise
- 1 butternut squash chopped thinly
- 300 gram pumpkin chopped thinly
- 1 egg or use a vegan substitute
- 2 branches of rosemary
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp kerrie powder
- sea salt
- 1 cup flour
- olive oil
For the turmeric mushroom mayonaise
- 2 tbsp mayonaise
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 300 gram mushrooms chopped
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- pepper and salt
- fresh chopped coriander or parsley
- squeeze of lemon
- Cut the pumpkin and butternut squash into big chunks and add them to a pot with boiled water to soften. Don't cook them too soft, but just a little bit to make it easier to cut them into thin slices. Meanwhile start cutting the spring onion, the rosemary and the mushrooms.
- Bake the sliced mushrooms in olive oil just until soft. Let them rest on a plate covered with a piece of kitchen paper towel to drain the oil. Set aside for later.
- Meanwhile check with a fork if the pumpkin and butternut squash got soft enough and take them from the pot to your cutting board. Let it cool down a little bit. Cut them into French Fries size and add to a big bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the spring onions, eggs, rosemary, spices, pepper and salt and flour to the bowl.
- Mix it all well together with clean hands. Make 8 round shaped fritters and add them one by one to the baking sheet. If the mixture doesn't stick enough, you could add a bit more flour.
- Use a big skillet, preferably a cast iron skillet. If you have two skillets, use two so you'll be able to fry them all in one batch. Add a generous amount of olive oil (or any other oil you prefer to fry with) to the skillet so the fritters can sit in it for 1/4. Fry them until light brown on both sides. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven for 180 °C.
- This step is not necessarily needed, if you prefer you can also only fry them, just leave them a little bit longer in the skillets to make them crispy. We prefer to finish the fritters in the oven, this way they will taste less oily and the oven will create a perfect crisp. Line the baking sheet with a new clean parchment paper. Transfer the fritters back to the baking sheet and add to the oven to bake for 10 more minutes.
Turmeric Mushroom Mayonaise
- Assemble the mushrooms, mayonaise, turmeric, pepper, salt and chopped coriander to a bowl and mix well. Add one squeeze of lemon and mix again. Taste if it's to your preference, you can play with the spices, lemon and pepper and salt.
- Serve with a green salad, the turmeric mushroom mayonaise on top. These fritters also make a perfect vegetarian/ vegan burger. They taste amazing in between fresh bread!