This vegan pumpkin lentil soup is made with delicious spices that boost flavor and helps strengthen your immunity.
Pumpkin lentil soup is one of the best meals you can eat during wintertime. It’s a good source of protein, important minerals, and antioxidants that will boost your immune system.
Lentil soup is one of our specialties and we love to eat once summer comes to an end and we feel the cold welcoming us. The minute autumn season starts we tend to add pumpkin to every meal as it can add lots of creamy texture and flavor. Besides, pumpkin has also many health benefits. Combining these with protein-packed lentils turned out one of our most popular recipes on the website. The two combine super well and are perfect to make a heartwarming filling delicious soup full of important nutrients that will help you stay healthy through the wintertime.
Vegan soup packed with nutrients
You might not say but lentils belong to the family of vegetables. They are a cheap and tasty form of high protein which makes them popular around the world and especially for vegans and vegetarians. In this recipe, the red lentils are combined with the same colored pumpkin, which gives this soup a beautiful yellow-orange color. With only lentils and pumpkin this soup already contain a large number of antioxidants, iron, protein, vitamin C, and vitamin A. Adding onion, garlic, and ginger this soup can also help reduce inflammations and strengthen the bones and joints.
Easy weeknight soup recipe
Did I already mention this soup is very easy to make in 30-40 minutes? Basically, after frying the onion, ginger, garlic with the spices and let it infuse, you can add everything to the pot and let it cook together. Finish with mashing it in a kitchen aid or use a hand blender. You will notice it creates a beautiful creamy texture. No need to add cream, but if you want you can add a small spoon of crème fraîche. Make this your new favorite soup and enjoy all the health benefits of pumpkin and lentils.
Pumpkin Lentil Soup
- Philips HR7629 Food Processor
- 150 grams red lentils
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 300 grams pumpkin
- 2 tsp curcuma
- 2 tsp cumin
- 700 ml vegetable broth
- 300/400 grams tomatoes canned or fresh
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 2,3 bay leafs
- fresh coriander
- Cut the pumpkin in cubes and take off the skin. If this is hard, you can soften them a bit by putting them in the over for a few minutes. Rinse the lentils with cold water until they are clean. Put both aside while you start cutting the onion.
- Bring some oil to a heath and add the onion. Let it fry until the onion is translucent. Add a few bay leafs to add more flavor. Cut the ginger in super tiny pieces. Press the garlic above the pan and add the ginger. Mix it up and let all the flavors infuse.
- Add the spices and the pumpkin. Mix it all together and let it stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils to the pan and mix it all up. Add the tomatoes and give it another stir.
- Add the vegetable broth. Close the pan with a lid and let it cook for about 20 minutes until the pumpkin is soft. Add a little bit of chopped coriander and transfer the soup into the kitchen machine (or use a hand mixer). Let the machine do its work until the soup is fluid.
- Serve the soup with a drip of crème fraîche, seeds and fresh coriander if desired. Enjoy!