This raspberry & nectarine galette makes the perfect summer dessert. It’s incredibly easy to make and can be made with any kind of fruits! It has beautiful looks, is super tasteful, light and so easy to make that you can hardly mess it up.Jump to Recipe
What is galette?
Galette is the French term for a simply flat, round cake made of pastry dough or bread. By definition any kind of round and flat shaped pastry or bread that isn’t made in a cake tin is referred to as galette. You might have heard about the thin buckwheat crêpes Bretton, also called galettes. However, nowadays the term galette is used for the rustic tarts made with a single crust pastry looking like pizza topped with either sweet or savory fillings. The sides of the galette are often folded up to keep the juices inside.
What makes these galettes especially popular is that they don’t need a tin and are easily made, even if you are a beginner baker. It’s more more easy than making a traditional tart. It’s just a matter of rolling out your pastry, top it with your filling and fold it up gently before baking it in the oven. Seriously it’s hard to mess this up!
Why you should make your own pastry dough
If you’re a beginner baker you might want to make it yourself easy and buy pre-made pastry dough. But if you only tried to make it yourself once, you will never buy it again. First of all because these products often contain artificial trans fat, and these fats do nothing but harm to your health. Trans fats increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. The best way to prevent using a pastry dough containing artificial trans fats is making it yourself. The good news is that it’s incredibly easy.
How to make the pastry dough?
A good preparation makes half of the work. So first make sure the butter and water are ice cold. We added them to the freezer 10 minutes before preparing the dough. This is because with keeping the dough as cold as possible it will prevent the fat from melting too soon. When the butter is too warm, the dough will lose its structure and texture.
Use a large bowl and mix the flour, sugar and salt together. Add the cold, diced butter and knead it into the dough until it feels like breadcrumbs. Then, add water, a bit at the time, you might not need all of it but just enough to make the dough come together. Roll it into a ball then into a thick disk. Cover it in plastic foil and place in the fridge for an hour.
After one hour roll the dough onto a floured surface into a circle. If you want to make a perfect looking galette you can use a plate to make a circle. Place it on top of the dough and press it lightly into the dough to separate the circle from the edges that you will fold later. Transfer the dough onto a baking sheet and top the circle with the fruits. Then fold the dough around the fruit and gently press to seal the edges.
How to make the filling
What makes this the perfect summer dessert is that you can literally use any kinds of summer fruits you have at home. Just make sure to cut them in slices, or if you use raspberries or blueberries you don’t need to cut anything. Sprinkle them with a little bit of sugar, the sugar will release juices which you can drizzle over the baked galette. After baking, garnish the galette with fresh herbs like thyme, basil or rosemary and finish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Raspberry & Nectarine Galette
- 190 grams all purpose flour
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 120 grams cold butter
- 50 ml ice cold water
- 1 egg
- ½ tbsp brown sugar for sprinkling
- 150 grams raspberries
- 3 nectarines
- thyme for garnish
- scoop of vanilla ice cream
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Start with preparing the crust. Add flour, sugar and salt to a large bowl and mix together. Add butter and knead it into the mixture with your hands until it feels like breadcrumbs. Add ice cold water and knead it all together, until the mixture forms dough. Roll the dough into a small ball, flatten it into a thick, disc-like shape and wrap in plastic foil. Place in the fridge for an hour.
- Cut the peaches in slices and add to a bowl. Sprinkle with some sugar and mix it well. Do the same with the raspberries in a seperated bowl. Leave aside.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C (356F).
- Roll the dough into a circle ( about 20-30 cm) on a lightly floured surface. You could use a plate and make a small cut to separate the edges from the center where you will put the fruits. This way you can easily shape the edges even. Transfer the dough into the baking tray.
- Place the nectarine slices on the outer side of the circle and form a circle. Place the raspberries in the middle in the middle of the dough. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the fruit and press to seal. Brush the dough with an egg wash and sprinkle with some brown sugar. Bake for about 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let the galette cool down a little bit. Garnish with thyme and if you wish add a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle before serving!
Thanks for reading today’s recipe! Please let me know if you made this and how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @lickingplates_ig on Instagram and hashtag it #lickingplates. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, Pinterest or Facebook!