Morning coffee just taste better when there’s a freshly baked banana bread aside isn’t it? We have a delicious new sesame chia banana bread recipe for you that you will want to try. It has a crispy bite on top and is moist, soft and crunchy from the inside. It’s naturally sweetened with golden brown sugar cane molasses. It has a robust, rich, somewhat bitter sweet taste, and adds a warm flavor to the sesame chia banana bread!
Baking with sugar cane molasses
You might wonder what sugar cane molasses is and why you should use it for baking banana bread. Sugar cane molasses is made from the beautiful green stalks from the sugar cane plant. First it’s smashed into a juicy extract, then the sugars in that juice are separated from the liquid. The liquid left from after the sugar has been removed is molasses. By repeating the process of separating the sugar from the liquid, it results in different grades of sweetness in the molasses. The molasses from the first separation is the sweetest and the last separation is the most dark and bitter one (blackstrap molasses). Some people use it as a syrup for pancakes or popcorn. So why to use sugar cane molasses in a banana bread recipe? It will give a robust taste with coffee notes that will just taste amazing with your morning coffee!
Quick and easy to make
Quick recipes like this one are among our favorites because you can always make them last minute. It only takes 10 minutes to prepare the batter. Within one hour you’ll have a freshly baked sesame chia banana bread and a cozy smelling house! First toast the sesame seeds, this will add a rich flavor of your banana bread and a pleasant hint of bitterness to all the sweetness. At the same time you can melt the butter. Basically all you need to do is combine all the ingredients step by step and mix well until you’ll have a smooth batter. Leave half of the amount of the sesame seeds and honey to make a beautiful shiny and crunchy top!
Sesame Chia Banana Bread
- 3 ripe banana's
- 2 tbsp sugar cane molasses
- 2 tbsp honey
- 125 grams melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 60 ml milk cow or plant based
- 250 grams flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- a handful of nuts crushed any you like, we used pecans and walnuts
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp water
- Pre-heat the oven for 160°C (hot air).Line a cake pan with parchment paper.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a skillet for a few minutes until they smell toasted. Put aside. Mix the sugar cane syrup, 1 tbsp honey and melted butter well until smooth. Add the eggs one by one and mix it all up.
- Whisk in the milk. Add flour, baking soda and salt en give it a good whisk.
- Smash the banana's with a fork. You could also use a mixer if you prefer. Add the smashed banana to the batter and give it another whisk. Add chia seeds and 1 tbsp of sesame seeds and mix it al up.
- Add the batter to the cake pan and cover with the rest of the sesame seeds evenly. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Check with a knife if it comes out dry. Let it cool down for at least 15 minutes before you take it from the cake pan.
- Make a honey syrup by adding one tbsp of honey and one tbsp of water in a small saucepan. Warm it up until it starts to caramelize a little bit. Use a brush to coat the top of the banana bread with the honey syrup to create a shiny and crispy sesame top.