Homemade rosemary crust filled with a mix of shiitake and small portobello mushrooms and caramelized red onion on a bed of ricotta cheese. This savory galette is epic!Jump to Recipe
What makes this dish one of our favorites is that it is always a pleasure to eat at any time of the day. Galette for diner? Oh yes!! All you need to add is a fresh green salad and you are set. Having a picnic, throwing a birthday party? This savory shiitake mushroom galette will make everyone happy.
How to prepare the rosemary dough?
The dough is basically the same as we used for the Raspberry & Nectarine Galette, only we swapped the sugar for a teaspoon of salt. To make it extra flavorful we added rosemary to the dough. This dough only needs 30 minutes in the fridge before using it. If you leave the dough longer in the fridge it can get hard. This means you will have to leave it outside the fridge for some time (20-30 min) before using it. No need to rise for hours, this galette is made in just 1 hour and 15 minutes. Another reason why we love galette!
Make it a vegan galette!
The recipe is easily made vegan. For making the dough there are no eggs needed. But in this recipe, we used an egg for the surface of the dough. The natural emulsifiers and proteins help to stabilize the texture of the crust. It gives the crust also a beautiful golden color. The same effect can be done with just water or with vegetable /olive oil. Because we love cheese we added some grated parmesan to the mushrooms, but this isn’t a must and doesn’t have to be replaced with anything. Same as for the ricotta cheese, either you swap it for a vegan cashew ricotta or leave it out.
Did you know shiitake mushrooms are one of the most powerful mushrooms that grow in the woods? We wrote a whole piece for you about the magical health benefits of shiitake mushrooms
How to make the filling?
While the dough is resting in the fridge you have 30 minutes to make a flavorful filling. To bring out a deep sweet flavor from the red onions it is important to slowly cook them in olive oil. Onions are naturally sweet and this sweet flavor comes out when cooking them slowly. Use a wide sauté pan and coat it with olive oil ( about 1/2 to 1 tbsp). Add the onions to the pan and stir until they are fully coated with the olive oil. Reduce the heat to medium to prevent the onions from burning. As soon as they start to stick to the pan add a bit of water. Sprinkle with a little bit of sugar to stimulate the caramelizing. Keep stirring for about 20 minutes.
Once you transferred the caramelized onions to a plate you can start cooking the mushroom in the juices of the onions. This won’t take much time because you don’t want them to cook fully through because then they will release more water. Just sautée for a few minutes in olive oil and flavor with chopped thyme (about 1 tbsp) and pepper and salt.
Shiitake Mushroom Galette
For the dough
- 200 gram all purpouse flour
- 100 gram unsalted butter ice cold cut in cubes put it in the freezer 10 minutes before you start
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 egg
- 50 ml ice cold water
For the filling
- 1 red onion cut in half and sliced.
- 200 gram shiitake mushrooms
- 200 gram small portobello mushrooms or white button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese
- 200 gram ricotta
- ½ tbsp balsamico vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- pepper and salt
- Mix the flour and salt and add ice cold butter cubes and knead it with your hands until it feels like breadcrumbs. Add the ice cold water and the chopped rosemary. Knead it all together, until it forms dough. Roll the dough into a small ball, wrap in plastic foil and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile caramelise the red onions. Heath up 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet and add the onions and keep mixing . Do this on medium heath. Add a bit of water to prevent it from sticking to the skillet. Ad 1 teaspoon of sugar to help it caramelise. Once the onions are soft add half a tablespoon of balsamico vinegar.
- Place the red ionion on a plate and add a another tbsp olive oil to the skillet. Add the musrhooms and stir frequently. Flavor with pepper, salt and fresh thyme chopped. Don't cook them too long because they will release lots of water. Once softened a bit and flavored, transfer the mushrooms to a plate Grate some cheese on top of the mushrooms and mix.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C (356F).
- Roll the dough into a circle ( about 20-30 cm) on a lightly floured surface. You could use a plate and make a small cut to separate the edges from the center where you will put the fruits. This way you can easily shape the edges even. Transfer the dough into the baking tray.
- Spread the ricotta cheese over the center of the dough. Add the caramelized onions on top. Cover with the mushrooms. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the mushrooms and press to seal. Brush the dough with an egg wash . Bake for about 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let the galette cool down a little bit. Garnish with thyme and serve warm with a green salade.
Thanks for reading today’s recipe! Please let me know if you made this and how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @lickingplates_ig on Instagram and hashtag it #lickingplates. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, Pinterest or Facebook!