These homemade spicy shrimp tacos taste amazingly fresh and delicious and have just the right amount of spiciness to heath up your heart and fall in love with them!Jump to Recipe
It’s very hard to resist these tacos, that’s why you should make sure to make enough. These crunchy spiced shrimps are tucked in a fresh and crispy red cabbage salad hold by a soft tortilla and topped with a smokey cream sauce with lime and cilantro. Do we need to convice you more?
Easy to impress shrimps
When you have friends coming over for dinner, taco-nights always work! Because it’s such an easy recipe it will allows you as a host to join your guests instead of being bussy cooking. The best part is that even though it’s a piece of cake, you will absolutely impress. Make the cabbage salad and sauce in advance and let the oven take care of the tortilla’s. Just before serving you start preparing the shrimps. Create the wow-factor by paying attention to the shrimps. Dry them with a kitchen towel, it will help to create this crispy bite. Then dip them in the mixed spices and bake them shortly on medium heat. Here is where you can screw up by over-cooking the shrimps. They only need about two minutes each side, once they start to get a light colour you know they are ready.
How to make the best red cabbage salad ever
Although the spicy shrimps are the stars of this recipe, we are also a big fan of the red cabbage salad. This salad is super fresh and adds the perfect crisp to the tacos. It’s way too delicious to only fill up the taco, we eat this salad also aside from the taco. Actually, this salad is a real winner which is why we will also publish the salad apart from this recipe to make it even easier for you to find it! The trick with cabbage salad is to put your hands in it and massage it after you added the red onion salt, pepper, vinegar and lime juice. This way all the flavors will totally immerse with the cabbage which results in a more juicy, fresh but still crispy red cabbage salad.
Serve the taco’s with the sauce and slices of lime so everyone can add even more freshness to this perfect spicy shrimp taco.
A great dessert to finish this dinner would be the fresh coconut lime quark cake. Make it one day it advance cause it needs to firm overnight in the fridge!
Easy Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Smokey Lime Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 12 small taco tortillas (corn or flour)
Red cabbage salad
- ½ red cabbage or one whole small one
- 1 red onion
- 1-2 fresh limes
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- black pepper and salt
Smokey Lime Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- hand full of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 minced clove garlic
- ½ fresh lime
- black pepper and salt
- 500 grams peeled and untailed shrimps
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Red cabbage salad
- Shred the red cabbage and add to a bowl. Cut the red onion first in two and then in thin half slices. Add to the cabbage together with the white wine vinegar a squeeze of ½ a fresh lime and black pepper and salt to your taste. Massage the salad with your clean hands until all the flavors are well incorporated.. Set aside.
Smokey Lime Ciltantro Cream Sauce
- In a bowl mix the sour cream with all the ingredients until well incorporsted. Taste if it's to your preference, add more of the flavor you want to taste most. Lime for more freshness, paprika for more smokiness and chili /cayenne for more heath.
- In a small bowl mix all the spices together. Dry the shrimps one by one with a kitchen towel. This will help the shrimps to become extra crispy.
- Bake the tortillas eather one by one in a pan or in a pre-heated oven on 200 degrees all together warpped in alluminium foil.
- In a large skillet heath up the olive oil and melt the butter over medium heat Dip The shrimps one by one on each side in the bowl of spices and add to the skillet. Bake until they colour lightly for about 2 minutes each side.
- Fill up each tortilla with the red cabbage salad, some shrimps and the smokey creamy lime cilantro sauce. Buen provecho!