If you’re looking for a quick and easy dish for lunch, a picnic in the park, or to prepare something for easter brunch, quiche is always loved! This spring quiche is made of a homemade crunchy crust, creamy eggs and crispy asparagus topped with goat cheese. It’s too delicious for leftovers!
Welcome spring with healthy asparagus
The main ingredient in this quiche is asparagus. They are the first crops of spring harvest. Once the sun starts to shine these beauties pop up towards the sunlight. Although here in Lisbon asparagus can be found all year round, spring is the best season to eat them.
When eating asparagus you’ll enjoy lots of health benefits. They are a great source of vitamin A,C and K, fiber, potassium and folate. Asparagus help to improve your digestion and can lower your blood pressure. Thanks to its ability to break down toxins in the liver, asparagus are an excellent hangover remedy. They reduce alcohol toxicity by increasing liver enzymes and encourage a healthy liver function.
How to prepare a crispy quiche crust yourself
Of course homemade crust is much more flavorful than the pie crust you find in the supermarket. Once you found out how easy and quick it is to make, you’ll never buy the supermarket crust again. Making quiche crust is easy peasy. It won’t take more than 10 minutes to knead the dough, then 30 minutes to get it cold and then you can bake. All you need is soft butter, flour, water and a pinch of salt. Knead, knead, knead, punch, punch punch and here you have your homemade ball of dough for quiche. After you let it cool in the fridge you can roll it out and use it!
Spring Asparagus Quiche with Goat Cheese
For the crust
- 250 grams flour
- 125 grams butter softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 40 ml water
- pinch of salt
For the filling
- 200 ml crème fraîche
- 5 eggs
- goat cheese
- pepper and salt
To prepare the crust dough
- Leave the butter outside the fridge to soften. Cut it in squares. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl with your hand. Knead well, even punch it a few times until you have a smooth ball of dough. Wrap it in plastic foil and leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes. You can also make the dough ahead, even 1 or 2 days, but if you do, take it out of the fridge at least 1 hour before you start cooking. It will harden in the fridge and need to get soft before you roll it out.
- Roll the dough into a sound shape that fits in the quiche mold and also the sides. When you add the dough to the mold, make sure to press into all the corners of the mold. This way you will create a beautiful border. Make small holes in the bottom with a fork.
The quiche filling
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C (hot air). Rinse the asparagus and cut off the ends. Add the asparagus to the quiche and it's totally up to you if you want to keep them whole or cut into smaller pieces.
- Mix the 5 eggs with the crème fraîche in a bowl. Cut some chives, as much as you wish and add to the egg mixture. Season with pepper and salt.
- Crumble the goat cheese on top of the asparagus, depending how much of a goat cheese fan you are, add as much as you like. Finish with pouring the egg mixture on top. Transfer the quiche into the middel rack of the oven and bake for about 35 minutes.