This easy recipe for vegan beetroot burgers is made with fresh beets, beans, nuts and flavored with fresh herbs and spices. It’s packed with vitamins, fibers, plant-based protein, and 100% gluten-free!
We love a good juicy burger, especially when it’s not only delicious but also can benefit our health. Beets create this bright red/purple color that imitates red meat which makes it a great substitute for creating a vegan burger. Besides its beautiful color beetroot is a detoxifying vegetable rich in iron, copper, and vitamin B and C which are important nutrients for vegans and vegetarians. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or a meat-eater, this beetroot burger is a must-try! The burgers are super easy to make and will satisfy your burger craving without getting you fat!
Which ingredients make a good beetroot burger?
It can be challenging to make a tasty gluten-free vegan burger out of veggies and beans. Usually, we use an egg and breadcrumbs or flour to stick all the ingredients together. With this recipe, we found a way to stay dairy and gluten-free. Instead of flour, we use in this recipe oats and walnuts. Here is what you need to make this recipe:
- Grated raw beets (peeled)
- Red onion
- Walnuts ( but you can also use any other nuts)
- Kidney beans ( any other beans, lentils or chickpeas can work, but kidney beans create the best substance, chickpeas for example can make the patties more dry)
- Tomato paste
- Soy sauce (gluten-free)
- Dried cumin
- Fresh dill
How to make beetroot burgers?
Start with preparing all the ingredients. Chop the onion, garlic, and dill and grate the raw beets. Sautée the onion in olive oil and add the spices, the tomato paste, and the soy sauce and cook for a few minutes. Add the raw beets and give it a good stir. Sautée for a few more minutes.
Use a strong food processor to grind the walnuts and oats. Add first the kidney beans and pulse. Then add the beet mixture, fresh chopped dill and pepper, and salt, and pulse until you have a smooth burger mix. Taste and season more if needed.
Shape the mixture into four burgers and place them on a plate. Heath up olive oil in a skillet and bake for 5 minutes on each side until crispy.
How to make your own healthy burger sauce?
There is no burger without a good sauce. We always prefer to make our own from fresh ingredients. To make this fresh yogurt dill sauce this is all you need:
- 125 ml of Greek yoghurt or plant-based yoghurt
- Fresh dill
- 1/2 Lemon
- Pepper and salt
- By choice garlic or garlic powder
Mix all the ingredients together and taste. Add more lemon, dill or pepper, and salt to make the best flavor. If you like garlic, you can add 1 pressed garlic clove or a tsp of garlic powder. If you prefer a more fresh sauce skip the garlic and add more lemon.
How to serve your beetroot burgers?
We like our burgers on a brioche bun and more and more often bakeries have gluten-free options. But you can also serve them with just a salad bowl or some crispy oven potatoes.
Garnish with fresh spinach, pickles, and for example seaweed salad (wakame). You can find frozen wakame salad in Asian supermarkets, it tastes amazing on top of this beetroot burger.
Vegan Beetroot Burgers (Gluten-Free)
- 1 Food processor
- 2 cups shredded raw beets ( 2 beets)
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup walnuts
- 250 grams kidney beans Rinsed and drained
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- fresh dill (or dried, can also be another herb if you can't find dill, like oregano, thyme or chives.
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce or normal soy sauce
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 burger buns
- fresh spinach
- wakame salad You can find wakame often frozen in Asian supermarkets.
Homemade burger sauce
- 125 ml yoghurt or plant-based yogurt
- fresh herbs The combination dill and beetroot is magic, but you can choose any kind of herbs like chives, salsa and thyme
- pepper and salt
- ½ lemon
- 1 clove of galric or galric powder this is not a must, but some like a garlic sauce, if you prefer it more fresh, skip the garlic.
- Start with preparing all the ingredients. Chop the onion, garlic, and dill and grate the raw beets.
- Sautée the onion in olive oil and add the spices, the tomato paste, and the soy sauce and cook for a few minutes. Add the raw beets and give it a good stir. Sautée for a few more minutes.
- Use a strong food processor to grind the walnuts and oats. Then add the kidney beans and pulse. Then add the beet mixture, fresh chopped dill and pepper, and salt, and pulse until you have a smooth burger mix. Taste and season more if needed.
- Shape the mixture into four burgers and place them on a plate. Heath up olive oil in a skillet and bake for 5 minutes on each side until crispy.
To make the homemade burger sauce
- Combine all the ingredients together and taste. Add more herbs, lemon or pepper and salt to create the desired flavor. Be carefull with the salt, it's better to keep the sauce as fresh and light possible.