This side dish is inspired by the Israeli cuisine and very popular among vegans and vegetarians. I am sure anyone will instantly fall in love with cauliflower after eating this. It’s the most beautiful and delicious way to serve a cauliflower and it’s not that complicated.
This recipe is super easy and perfect for just a weeknight. As a side dish it goes well with green salad, roasted chickpeas , sweet potatoes, or fish. But its festive look make this dish also perfect for a dinner with friends or even a party. But as that isn’t really happening at the moment I suggest you just enjoy this lovely meal whenever you want.
The most important part of this recipe is that you don’t put the cauliflower in the oven immediately. It’s best to cook it before in boiling water until it softens. This way you’ll avoid that the cauliflower isn’t fully cooked from the inside when the top of the cauliflower starts to brown.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Turmeric Mayo
- 1 cauliflower
- 3 tbsp mayonaise or vegan mayonaise
- 2 tsp turmeric/curcuma
- ½/ 1 tsp chili flakes as much as you like it to be spicy
- fresh coriander
- pepper and salt
- 1 lime
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Take off the leaves from the cauliflower and cut off the bottom of the core. Add the whole cauliflower to a big pot with boiling water with salt and let it cook just to get a little bit soft from the inside. Not too much, it will cook further in the oven. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 200 C (400 F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Start making the sauce by adding the mayonaise, 1 squeezed lime, olive oil, spices, pepper and salt and mix it all up. Taste if you like it and add to make the right balance. It should be a bit spicy, creamy and fresh. Add the freshly chopped coriander to the sauce and mix it well. When the cauliflower got a bit soft take it from the pot and add it to the baking sheet. You could also leave it to cool down a bit if you boiled the cauliflower in advance. Use a brush to cover the whole cauliflower generously with the sauce.
- On top of the sauce spread the breadcrumbs evenly. Transfer the cauliflower into the oven until it gets brown on top, not burned. It usually takes about 45 minutes but check once in a while and turn the baking sheet to let it color evenly. You could also finish with the last 5 minutes on grill mode.
- Serve with the sauce and garnish with fresh coriander. Enjoy 🙂